PHYSICAL EDUCATION CURRICULUM STATEMENT
Physical Education (PE) is a beautiful opportunity to develop the whole child. Children are entitled to a rich, broad and balanced PE curriculum. Through PE, children should develop behaviour and attitudes that will benefit them throughout school life and beyond. Everyone at Hutchinson Memorial First school is an Athlete!
Our intent is that all children:
- experience a broad range of activities through curriculum PE time, including gymnastics, dance, games, outdoor education and athletics
- Know how to stay fit, healthy, and active and enjoy doing so, choosing to engage in physical activity and sport in their own time
- Learn to win and lose, support others and be supported, showing sportsmanship and good character
- Work as part of a team towards a common goal as well as individually improving their performance
- Be allowed to be creative in a range of activities
- Play competitively, respecting officials and other players
- Develop spiritually, morally and culturally through diverse activities and opportunities
At Hutchinson Memorial First School, we know that a high-quality PE curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities.
We implement this in a range of ways:
- Pupils participate in at least 2 hours of high-quality PE lessons each week
- We use and adapt a scheme of learning from The PE Hub to ensure planning, content and delivery is age appropriate and progressive across year groups
- The long-term planning for each class sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met
- All children have access to a variety of extracurricular activities such as after school clubs every day
- We have active lunchtimes for all children led by qualified sports coaches
- Every year, we offer a residential outdoor adventure experience for children in Years 3 and 4
- Children in Early Years have weekly sessions with Relax Kids to introduce them to mindfulness and meditation in a fun and engaging way.
- We host an annual Sports Day, with the emphasis on participation and achievement for all
- We promote both participation and competition through P.E and sport. We ensure all children experience competition at some level, individually or in a team, within lessons
- Children are invited to attend competitions and sporting festivals within the local area and beyond. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events can also develop teamwork and leadership skills
- We celebrate children’s success and sporting achievements within our Celebration Assemblies
The impact of this curriculum design results in a fun, healthy, high quality physical education, that allows children to develop fundamental skills and apply them to a variety of sports and activities. At Hutchinson Memorial First School, we ensure that our PE curriculum is progressive and that all children are provided with the necessary skills and opportunities to achieve their personal best. Our pupils are physically active, and this has a positive impact on their health and wellbeing. Children understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle and understand the importance of regular exercise. We aspire for children to enjoy PE and develop a love of sport and physical activity which becomes part of their future life outside of school.
‘Adults want all pupils to do the best they can. For them, this means pupils achieving well in their schoolwork as well as preparing to be good active citizens.’ Ofsted 2022